Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Happy Moment

I love horses, and have all my life. When I was a little girl, I went to girl scout horseback riding camp. Everyone changed their clothes after we went on our rides at the dude ranch, except me. I loved the smell of horses, and leather and intended to keep it with me for the rest of the day.

A magnificent black and white paint horse appeared in my dreams regularly. There was something about tobiano paints that I adored. I even adopted a black and white dog and called him "Tobiano".

When I was 29 I declared that I needed to own a horse by the time I was 30, or I would throw a fit that would be heard on the other side of the world. (Arguably not the most effective way to accomplish a goal, but it renewed my desire to make it happen.)

I was 29 1/2 when I bought my horse, a black and white, tobiano yearling stud colt. My wonderful husband nodded and smiled as I showed him pictures of the muddy baby horse I had just fallen love with. I named him Mojo. Most horse people would think what I did was a questionable move for a first horse. It could have been, but I was sure it was the right thing to do. It was. The horse from my dreams now lives in my back yard!

We spent the first two years of our relationship getting to know and trust each other. I called him my "biggest dog". He now deals with and accepts just about anything. Just before he turned four I found a wonderful trainer that teaches natural horsemanship. We started from the ground up, and after about 10 months (during which I was pregnant, so we went took things nice and slow), we have him quite happily under saddle. Only my trainer has been on him so far, except a few minutes I was on him the other night. This brings me back to the point of this blog...

Now, we're training me. While some people that have been on trail rides say they know how to ride a horse, actually doing it on a horse that isn't trained to simply walk in a straight line from point A to point B and back is a different game.

Today I had my first lesson with my trainer's gray Andalusian mare. We started with some groundwork. The difference between working with my horse, and this one was immediately evident. She tested me, challenged me, and asked me if I meant it. I stuck with it, and applied what I knew. It worked! I earned her respect and we saddled and bridled her.

My trainer had her by a lead and coached me from the ground. This was no pony ride! Knowing she was there was like an insurance plan. It allowed me to figure out what I was doing without worrying. What an amazing feeling to ride a horse that won't do what you ask unless you ask right.

Needless to say, it went really well, and will now be a weekly thing to keep my learning curve in line with Mojo's.

No comments:

My Blog List